Whether you are college student, university student, working girl or other...if you are a busy body thats always on the go, taking a break to eat can be difficult. Which is why you would find yourself (more often than you would like) snacking on just about anything sweet or greasy when you are completely famished and the tummy is yelling out: "feed me girlfriend!".
You can prevent these outrageous moments from occurring by preparing something tasty yet healthy at the same time, in advance.
Why not try out this scrumptious recipe for Choc Chip Cranberry and Peanut Butter Granola Bars:
• 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
• 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
• 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter, at room temperature
• 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
• 1 cup puffed rice (rice krispies is ideal)
• 2 tablespoons grated coconut
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan (or a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan for thicker bars) with parchment paper so the sides hang over the edge of the pan. Lightly coat cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
4. Fold in the rolled oats, puffed rice cereal, salt, dried cranberries, grated coconut and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the prepared pan, spreading into an even layer, and bake until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes (add a few additional minutes of baking time if you’re using a loaf pan).
5. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove by picking up the sides of the parchment paper. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
And there you have it...snacking has never sounded soo yummy!
PS: This recipe was taken from a lovely site called: healthy food for living which is packed with delicious and healthy recipes. The recipe has been tweaked and a few ingredients have been substituted.